Printer Friendly Page
Qualisteelcoat certification essentials
2013/5/6 17:35:11 (12272 reads)

What do you as a coater have to do to get the Qualisteelcoat label?

In short: you have to meet the requirements of the Qualisteelcoat specification. Controllability of your process can be demonstrated, certain tests are carried out by yourself and the end product can pass a number of lab tests. You can apply for certification through the national licence holder. At first there will be a pre-inspection and you will receive some recommendations. This is followed by the final inspection and test panels will be taken and send to the lab. After everything has been approved the official label will be requested by the national licensee and granted by the international organisation of Qualisteelcoat. Depending on your initial quality level a certification project will usually take 3 to 6 months.


Below you will find some essentials from the specification. Please note: this information is only partially complete and only serves as a guideline to make an assessment for the most important requirements of Qualisteelcoat. To get certified the full specification is applicable.

Which corrosion class do you want to apply for?

In the Qualisteelcoat label, a distinction is made between interior and exterior coating applications. Interior relates to corrosion classes C1 and C2, whereas exterior relates to C3, C4 and C5. At the Qualisteelcoat certificate the application interior/exterior and the corrosion class is mentioned. Before applying you have to decide which corrosion class you want to be certified for.


What has to be arranged regarding storage?

-       Untreated parts have to be stored in dry conditions and clearly labelled (with the name of the customer, C class etcetera).

-       Paint and/or powder have to be stored in a separate dry storage room and easy to be identified by means of the label.

-       Chemical substances have to be stored according the instructions of the supplier and actual safety norms.

-       Finished coated products have to be stored in dry conditions, identifiable and ready for transport.











What needs to be measured when doing the in house control?

-       If you apply chemical pre-treatment the bath conditions have to be measured on a daily basis. The main parameters you have to check are the temperature, the pH value, the conductivity, the time the products stay in each bath, the condition of the rinsing and demi water and the temperature of the drying oven. Besides that, the etching degree has to be determined as well as the conversion layer.

-       If you apply mechanical pre-treatment, you have to control the conditions of the abrasives and measure the roughness and purity of your blasting process.

-       Prior to coating, the dew point has to be determined.

-       During the coating certain process parameters have to be checked, such as the temperature of the parts during the curing process and the curing oven itself, the time in the oven or, in case of liquid painting, the drying time and temperature, the layer thickness and the right application of the liquid paint or powder.

-       The end product has to be gauged at several points for layer thickness and gloss. Also several tests have to be executed in house, such as the boiling test, the impact test and the cross-cut adhesion test. 


For each process someone has to be responsible for the in house control. This person must have the knowledge and permission to take action for adjustments to keep the process conditions as optimal as possible.


All measures have to be registered and the results and adjustments in the process have to be kept in (a digital) file.



Which measuring devices do you need?

-       Certified glass thermometer or calibrated electronic temperature gauge

-       Conductivity meter with calibration liquid

-       pH meter and pH paper (and calibration liquid for pH 4 and 7)

-       Calibrated balance for determining the etching degree and the conversion layer

-       At least two layer thickness meters with calibration film

-       Impact tester

-       Adhesion test equipment

-       Gloss meter

-       A cooker for the boiling test

-       Xylene test for the polymerisation test

-       Recording instrument for object temperature and curing time in the oven

-       Dew point meter

-       Chemical products


What are the costs of Qualisteelcoat label?

That depends on the current status of your company in regards to the Qualisteelcoat norm. If you already meet the requirements, an application, audit, inspection and lab tests will be sufficient. If you have to take additional measures such as the implementation of a quality control system or buying some testing devices to meet the requirements of the Qualisteelcoat specification, your expenses will be higher. To keep the certificate, one positive inspection per year will be necessary

Back Printer Friendly Page Send this Story to a Friend Printer Friendly Page
The comments are owned by the poster. We aren't responsible for their content.

© AHomepage Webdesign (von AHerzfeld EDV-Lösungen seit 1987)  
                                      Tel: +41-(0)44-252-9110 •

User Login
Your Email